Authors

Monday, November 1, 2010

Reflection: Rally!

The rally on Saturday was definitely one of my most memorable college experiences thus far. Not only was it an absolutely beautiful day outside, it was so exciting to be on the National Mall with thousands of other equally excited and energetic people. Getting to the rally was part of the adventure. Elana, Dayna, and I decided not to go with the super early group but we still left campus fairly early. We got to the Metro Center stop just as the train was about to close its doors. It was packed with people, and there was already a crowd in front of us waiting for the platform. The doors closed but then opened again. After a few times of opening and closing, the conductor asked all passengers to check if an article of clothing or something else was in the way. About five minutes and a few more unsuccessful tries later, the conductor announced that the train was shut down for service. A swarm of people bolted out of the train joining the crowd on the platform as they started rushing up the stairs. At first I thought the walk would be too long but since it was such glorious weather and since we were walking with a purpose, I didn’t mind at all. (Coming back on the metro was even worse, but that’s a whole other story). 
As we drew closer I could feel the energy. We made our way towards the front, stopping to read signs and take pictures, and found a spot somewhere in the crowd. Minutes before the rally started, one brave soul decided to climb a nearby tree. He kept going further and further until the crowd’s worry stopped him. A few friends followed him up the same tree and then people started climbing up other trees around us. They probably had the best seat in the house and to be honest, they looked pretty comfortable.
It was exhilarating to be in the presence of Jon Stewart, and so many other great performers, even if we weren’t very close to them. Putting Stewart and Colbert together was bound to create a laugh and I definitely enjoyed hearing the two of them. During the rally I kept thinking about how incredibly lucky I am to be going to school in the nation’s capital which has so much to offer. Just two weeks ago I spent the day engrossed in the National Gallery of Art, followed by a trip to the National Zoo that same day. I’ve been here two months and already I’ve had so many extraordinary opportunities and rewarding experiences, more than I would in high school and more than I would have had at a college outside of a big city. Overall, I thoroughly enjoyed going to the rally and am grateful for the opportunity to have done so.

No comments:

Post a Comment