Authors

Monday, September 20, 2010

Reflection 4

This week was a very interesting week for me, especially our discussion on friday about wether or not uninformed or misinformed people should be allowed to vote. I discussed this in my very first blog post, because I do consider the power of the voter to be a major issue in world politics, in the way that uninformed or misinformed people can misrepresent the voices of the people by possibly not being able to represent themselves based on true facts. This is particularly important in the United States, because the people in this country are voting on things that effect the entire world. It is also something I feel very strongly about, as I feel like I am a pretty well informed person, but as I am not an american citizen, my opinion doesn't count, but someone who is uninformed's opinion does. But I gained a little more insight into the issue on friday and the opinions of my peers, which I found interesting.
I do admit that at first, I wasn't sure where the discussion was going, because we were talking about the issue, but not exactly how to fix it. I was surprised to find that some people believed that uninformed and misinformed people should be kept separate from the rest of the population. Although I respect their opinions, I strongly believe that as opposed to keeping these people separate from the rest of the voting population, we should do what we can to transform uninformed and misinformed people into informed people, thus fixing the problem and further representing the masses. If we attempt to separate the informed and the not informed, we begin to draw lines that aren't necessarily very clear. You need to start thinking about what an informed person is, and how you are going to determine wether someone is informed or uninformed. In the end the entire process becomes costly and detrimental to the system, and even possibly could create social divides between the informed and uninformed, which is very dangerous. For this, it would probably be a better idea to educate rather that separate, or rather segregate as it might eventually become.

No comments:

Post a Comment